Supporters’ Club Notes (03/06/2018)

Sun Jun 3rd 2018


There's no point in giving yet another match report here but suffice to say that our 3-2 victory over Galway was a mighty win. A massive thunderstorm and torrential downpour early in the balmy evening, meant that the game could have been called off. What a disaster that would have been. But the ground staff defied the gods and despite an army of midges, the game went ahead.

And what a magnificent game it turned out to be. Most said it was probably our best performance yet. If you were cycling past the City Calling Stadium, you'd have sworn there were at least five thousand at the match, such was the volume of the enthralled supporters on both sides. The electric atmosphere more than matched the lightning storm from earlier. Two nil up and down to ten men at the break meant that there was plenty of animated discussions in the busy clubhouse at half time.

Aodh Dervin's superb strike was enough to get him an honorary Leaving Cert while Sam Verdon's dance routine after his smashing goal was especially for his little brother Bobby. We also had the sad sight of a Galway player being stretchered off by the St John Ambulance Crew.

The second half was bound to be a nervous 45 minutes and when the visitors nabbed agoal back, finger nails were in danger of disappearing. The tension reached fever pitch when the Tribesmen were thrown a lifeline with the awarding of a dubious penalty.Even western comments on their own website admitted it was the softest penalty ever awarded to them. But when the ball almost blasted an overflying crow to smithereens, the home crowd bayed with delight. Justice was done. Pauric Connolly's animated reaction was caught on camera and is nearing viral status. Every player played his heart out. Some thought that Galway, being full time, that their fitness would tell as the game wore on. The second half had more drama on show than the Backstage Theatre. We had fabulous saves, blocks, an other goal each, missed chances and all to a non stop soundtrack of singing and cheering from both Section O and the stand.

On the pitch we were treated to the best display of the season and off pitch, the players and management said they were treated to the best support of the season, so far. It was only when the final whistle finally sounded that we realised we'd be eaten alive with hungry army of midges. But with three points bagged and three goals scored, we could put up with the tiny horrors. One middle ages Galway supporter summed it up perfectly, saying “fair play to ye, that was a mighty win for ye”.


On the Bank Holiday Monday we head to Finn Park to face Finn Harps in the rescheduled game and then just four days later, Friday June 8th it's up to Dublin to play Cabinteely in Stradbrook with a 7.45 kick off. Fulfilling both those dates is demanding for even the most dedicated travelling supporter so spare a thought for the team and management who have to work their socks off as well as travelling. Best of luck and safe travels to all making those demanding and tiresome trips.


The news that super supporter Marty Stapleton was hospitalised sent shivers through all those attending the City Calling Stadium on Friday night last. Every one was simply shocked to the core and that included many travelling Galway fans too. Marty is known in every ground throughout the land and his absence from his home ground on Friday night was sorely felt. The win over Galway was for you Marty and hopefully the energy and goodwill generated will find its way to you and have you back among your mates in Section O, as soon as possible. See you soon Marty.


It was a case of two legends meeting when the May Player of the Month award was presented. Pauric Connolly has been supporting De Town for many decades before Sam Verdon was even born. But both are now twinned in their combined passion for De Town as Pauric presented Sam with his deserved award before kick off on Friday night.


Any one who arrived early on Friday night witnessed a miracle. With a torrential downpour of biblical proportions creating a mini lake of Galilee, it seemed impossible that the game could proceed. But as soon as the last drops splashed, the ground staff plus a few volunteers swung into action. Armed to the teeth with grapes, brushes and scrapers they set to work with immediate impact. Because the downpour seemed to target the City Calling Stadium only, some fans could hardly believe their eyes on arrival. But fair play to the lads who worked till they were wringing wet with sweat while drying out the pitch.


These lines are penned before Monday's Bank Holiday Car Boot Sale. But a huge and sincere thank you to the mighty volunteers who rise before the sun to ensure everything runs smoothly and successfully.

Like Us On Facebook

@LongfordTownFC Tweets

© 2020 LONGFORD TOWN FC | All rights reserved.