MATCH REPORT: UCD 0-0 Longford Town

Fri Jul 31st 2020

Match Report by Tony Ghee

Longford Town maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a goalless draw away to UCD at the College Bowl, a result that gives them seven points from their opening three matches.

UCD were the vastly superior team in the opening thirty-five minutes as they knocked the ball around beautifully and posed numerous problems for the Longford defence, especially down the right hand side with striker Liam Kerrigan in scintillating form.

The UCD wing-backs Michael Gallagher and Mark Dignam combined brilliantly to create a glorious chance for striker Colm Whelan on seventeen minutes. Gallagher's superb right-wing cross was headed across the box by Dignam to striker Whelan, but he blasted narrowly over from fifteen yards out.

College midfielder Jack Keaney wasn't too far off target with a thirty-five yard free kick on twenty-nine minutes, although Town keeper Lee Steacy seemed to have it covered.

However, the best chance of the first half fell to the visitors on forty-two minutes. College midfielder Keaney was dispossessed just outside his own eighteen yard box by Town's Sam Verdon, he threaded the ball through to James English who ran to the end-line and whipped in a dangerous low cross that was prodded goalwards by the stretching Town striker Rob Manley, but UCD keeper Lorcan Healy saved with his feet. The ball came back out to Verdon but he fired over the rebound from just twelve yards out.

The half-time introduction of substitute Dylan Grimes rejuvenated Longford and they were much improved in the second half.

UCD almost broke the deadlock four minutes after the resumption. A long ball out of defence was flicked on by Dara Keane to striker Kerrigan, but his low shot from the left was saved by Town stopper Steacy.

Just two minutes later, a much livelier Town side almost took the lead as substitute Grimes free kick was headed inches wide by Town striker Manley.

Longford Town continued their second half dominance and came close again in the fifty-seventh minute. A quickly taken free kick picked out Grimes and his brilliant perfectly weighted diagonal ball found Dylan Hand just inside the UCD box, but his shot across goal flashed just wide of the far post.

UCD created a good chance in the sixty-fourth minute when Keane picked out Kerrigan sixteen yards out, but his crisp shot with the outside of his right boot produced a fine save from Steacy.

Manley then had a shot from a tight angle on the right saved by UCD keeper Healy after a good run into the UCD box.

Both sides created pressure in the closing stages but both defences held firm.

Next up for Longford Town is a home match against Bray Wanderers on Monday evening at Bishopsgate with a 7.30pm kick-off.

Match Report by Tony Ghee

UCD: (3-3-2-2) Healy, Farrell, Collins, Osam, Gallagher, Dignam, Keane, Keaney, Doyle, Whelan, Kerrigan.
Substitutes: Mahdy for Keane (66 minutes).

Longford Town: (4-2-1-2-1) Steacy, Elworthy, McDonnell, Hand, McNally, Zambra, Dervin, Verdon, English, Lotifa, Manley.
Substitutes: Grimes for Lotefa (half-time), Barnes for English (78 minutes), Warfield for Manley (82 minutes).

Referee: Alan Patchell


Like Us On Facebook

@LongfordTownFC Tweets

© 2020 LONGFORD TOWN FC | All rights reserved.