MATCH REPORT: Galway United 0-1 Longford Town

Fri Aug 14th 2020

Match Report by Tony Ghee

Longford Town came away from Eamon Deacy Park with three valuable points as a goal from substitute striker Aaron McCabe earned  the Town a one-nil victory over Galway United.

The best chance of the first half arrived in the twelfth minute and it was Longford that almost broke the deadlock. An excellent exchange of passes down the right between Sam Verdon and Dylan Grimes opened up the Galway defence, and Grimes delivered a pacy cross into the box that resulted in Galway keeper Kevin Horgan producing an outstanding save from Aodh Dervin's diving header.

Galway came close to scoring on twenty-nine minutes, midfielder Maurice Nugent created space for himself twenty-two yards out on the left edge of the penalty area, however, his shot whizzed just wide of Longford's far post.

Just before the interval, the visitors nearly hit the front when Verdon's snapshot from the right edge of the box rocketed just wide of Galway's far post.

The Tribesmen should have found the Town net on seventy-one minutes when Shane Duggan's right  wing corner found the head of the towering Nugent, but his downward header from just six yards out bounced over the Longford bar.

Five minutes later, Galway missed the best opportunity of the contest. A great ball over the top of the high-line Town defence put striker Shane Doherty clean through on goal but Town keeper Lee Steacy produced a magnificent save with his feet.

Totally against the run of play, Longford scored the crucial goal on eighty-two minutes. A long ball from midfield from Dervin saw substitute striker Callum Warfield challenge Galway keeper Horgan, Horgan spilled the ball and the other Town substitute striker Aaron McCabe pounced to drill home the winning goal.

Galway Utd (4-4-2): Kevin Horgan, Christopher Horgan, Lynch, Farragher, Ludden, Higgins, Nugent, Duggan, Parthoens, Place, Doherty.

Substitutes: Christopher for Farragher (48 minutes), Barry for Doherty, Lomberto for Parthoens (both 78 minutes), Warweru for Nugent (84 minutes)

Longford Town (4-2-1-2-1): Steacy, Elworthy, Joe Manley, McDonnell, Hand, Zambra, Dervin, Verdon, Grimes, McNally, Rob Manley.

Substitutes: Warfield for Rob Manley, Lotefa for McNally, Chambers for Hand (all 64 minutes), McCabe for Grimes (70 minutes)

Goalscorer: Aaron McCabe ('82)

Like Us On Facebook

@LongfordTownFC Tweets

© 2020 LONGFORD TOWN FC | All rights reserved.