Airtricity U19 League of Ireland

Mon Nov 5th 2012

Longford Town 0 - 2 Mervue United

Report by: Rachael McKeon

On Saturday last Longford Town U19’s welcomed Mervue Utd to a bitterly cold Flancare Park. Following their 5-0 reversal against Athlone Town in their last game, this was always going to be a game where confidence and pride was going to have to be restored for the home side. The Town got off to a good start and looked to have their last game well and truly out of their system as they went on the attack from the start and took the game to their visitors.

In the 3rd minute winger Ryan Carberry cut inside the Mervue back line and had a shot that was well saved by Conor O’Malley. Mervue came to life shortly after the early Town attack and in the 10th minute they were awarded a free kick that was swung dangerously into the Town box but was well saved by keeper David McNamara who pushed the ball out for a corner. From the resulting corner Mervue had another attempt on goal but this time their effort went well over. Minutes later McNamara was called into action once again and made a good save from an Aaron McDonagh shot. The next attack of note was from the home side when Ryan Carberry and Boni Odoemene linked up well for Carberry to cross into the box but unfortunately for Odoemene the Mervue centre half Padraig Keane just reached the ball ahead of him to head to safety. On the 20th minute Mervue took the lead when Aiden O’Sullivan lost his marker from a corner and took full advantage of the free header to direct the ball goal ward to put his side 1-0 up. Longford had a chance to equalise on the half hour mark when Aaron Brilly had a shot from all of 30 yards out but luckily for the visitors his shot went just wide of the post. For the remainder of the half Longford continued to push forward in search of the elusive equaliser and on the stroke of half time Ryan Carberry was unfortunate when his snap shot from 25 yards clipped the outside of post and went wide. This was the last action of the half and the Town went in 1-0 down at the break.

Eight minutes into the second half Mervue were awarded a corner and with the strong breeze blowing towards the Town goal corner taker McDonagh got a huge slice of luck as cross went straight into the top corner of McNamara’s net. On the hour mark McDonagh was looking for his second and his sides third when he spotted McNamara off his line and tried to clip him but this time the wind was to hamper his attempt on goal as it carried the ball over the bar. With a quarter of the game remaining the Town should have pulled a goal back but unfortunately striker Alex Kenny saw his shot go over the crossbar. The last action of note fell to the Mervue when Dillon Murphy received the ball on the edge of the Town box but his shot was saved brilliantly by an alert McNamara. The game finished 2-0 to the visitors and for the Town their next game is away against Galway opposition once more this time in the form of GUST on Friday 9th November at 8pm in Terryland Park.

Longford Town: David McNamara, Cormac Kennedy, Steven Boateng, Paul Rushe, Ruari Carberry, Aaron Brilly(c), Michael James, Ryan Carberry, Dean Cosgrave, Alex Kenny, Boni Odoemene.

Subs: Brian McNamara for Ruairi Carberry (66mins), Mark Rossiter for Ryan Carberry (82mins), Padraig Gallagher for James (85mins).

Not Used: Liam O’Farrell, Sean Duarte, Cillian Glacken, Jamie Coady.

Mervue Utd: Conor O’Malley, Eric Neary, Shane McNamara, Padraig Keane, Dylan Thornton, Luke Tully, Eoghan Walsh, Richard Fahy, Dillon Murphy, Aiden O’Sullivan, Aaron McDonagh.

Subs: Evan Boyce, Moise Assogba, Thomas Gleeson, Evan Browne, John Rattigan, James Healy.

Like Us On Facebook

@LongfordTownFC Tweets

© 2020 LONGFORD TOWN FC | All rights reserved.